Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

北海道の雪祭り (Snow festivals in Hokkaido) : Introduction

It has been a long time since the last blog post in January. Sorry about the long silence. Hopefully I have something new and interesting to entertain you for the next few days. I wouldn't say my life was on the down side for the last month but it wasn't quite as entertaining as it used to. Hopefully it's on the way up and I have to say that I spend the last four days week-end traveling up North to go and see the 雪祭り(yuki matsuri) in 北海道 (Hokkaido)。
The 雪祭り is a festival with snow and ice sculpture and delicious street food as for any Japanese festival held in Hokkaido, the island in the North of Japan.
Normally when you tell people that you are going to see the 雪祭り they expect you to spend the day in 札幌 (Sapporo) the main city of 北海道 and to spend a  day or two in 大どり(Oodori) to see the snow sculptures and the show there and to visit the other few sites of festival in 札幌。Few months ago, that's what I intended to do but not quite what happened. Instead I took four days to go to three different cities : 札幌、旭川 (Asahikawa) and
 小樽 (Otaru), to discover three very different and equally entertaining 雪祭り。 The next few posts will be telling the tale of my travel in the "Grand Nord". Stay tunned.
I Love Hokkaido
Igloo
Asahikawa
Otaru






No comments:

Post a Comment