Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Monday, April 7, 2008

The Korean Project : Materials

En français

To study Korean I'm using different types of materials. The idea behind "not only use one textbook" is not to get bored. In fact when some thing gets boring you just have to change.
The first thing I get was the FSI Korean Basic Course with mp3, it is available here as well as for lost all other languages. It's a bit old I think and they really use very strange transliterations in the first volume. But that gives you a good start and the necessary grammar. The fact that it comes with mp3 allows you to also listen to it often and while reading, which is good for your pronunciation.
So far I enter the sentences up to lesson 30 in my SRS, only 17 to go :).
That means you also need an SRS, at the very beginning I was a bit skeptical about that as I prefer to use paper and pen in general, but it works very well. I'm using Mnemosyne apparently it's not the best one but it's free.
To practice reading I get myself some books, I have a grammar book with lot of sentences, a manga, 그 놈은 멋있었다 (He was cool) in two volumes and some scripts from the drama 풀 하우스 Full House with one of my favorite Korean actor 정지훈 (鄭智薰, Jeong Ji-Hun) also known as 비 (rain). He also plays in the funny movie 싸이보그지만 괜찮아 I'm a Cyborg, but That's OK which is very useful for me as I have Korean subtitles, even if I don't read fast enough to follow everything yet. This movie is a bit crazy, at the moment I'm listening to it everyday with my mp3, and for now nearly understand everything, as well as for 늑대의 유혹 (Romance of their own).
Watching movies is very important for me because it also allows me to know more about the culture.
The more things you have in your target language, the better. Don't hesitate to get crazy movies, it doesn't matter if it gives you vocabulary that you will never use in a conversation as long as it allows you to continue to study.
"Aja aja, fighting !!!"

2 comments: