Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Polyphasic sleep vs Monophasic sleep

En français

Your sleeping time is divided into sleep cycles. During a full night sleep, monophasic sleep, you go through about 6 complete cycles. Each cycle last approximately 1 hours 20 minutes and is divided into 5 phases.
During the first phase you're falling asleep but are still aware of your environment, that's at that time that you muscles can relaxed and you can move quickly without wanting it. This phase and the second one are part of the light sleep.
The third and fourth phases are the deep part of the sleep, that during this part that people sleep walk for example.
The fifth one is called the Rapid Eye Movement (REM). That the part during which one dream.

During polyphasic sleep, what we want is to go straight to the REM phase. The brain will then clean up the information that came to you. That's the most important part to have a good quality of sleep.

When I'm on monophasic, I don't really know in which phase I was when I wake up. However in polyphasic sleep it's much easier to notice.
I know when I'm in phase one because of the shaking.
I know that I'm in phase one or two if I'm not dreaming, and feel asleep while knowing where I am.
I know that I was in phase three or four when I wake up without knowing where I am, what time it is, and if I already sleep.
And off course I know that I was in phase five, REM, if I dreamed.

The problem is I need to get more REM than anything else, but I haven't reached that part of the polyphasic sleep yet. If I don't get my REM sleep I feel tired afterward.
So far I have been polyphasic the most for a full week, but I had to stop for a three days conference, tonight I'm back. We'll see what happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment