Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Editing Frenzy: Prompt twelve: Prepositions

You are going to tell me, preposition are fun, there is nothing wrong about them, are you really going to hate on every words in the English language? Leave the preposition alone! Or I hate that grammar crap people write grammatically correctly, I don't need to know what is a preposition.
1) I love grammar! Because it's fun and I learned it as a kid putting colors on sentences!
2) Yes, I'm here to hate on everything and especially fat writing because at the moment that's what the prompt are taking care of. So let's have a look at the preposition. 

Up side down! On it's back!
STOP over using them!

Let's start with checking that we don't have two prepositions following each other.

Example: 
Initial: The vampire turned back toward me. His face was hidden in the dark but his yellow eyes shone and his fangs reflected the moon light. 
Replace by: The vampire faced me. His face was hidden in the dark but his yellow eyes shone and his fangs reflected the moon light.                                                  ^--- See that I even managed to get rid of both of them. (Sometimes I'm proud of myself, like today, it never lasts long unfortunately.)

Let's continue with making sure that they are not creating redundancies.

Example:
Initial: Mark climbed up the stairs and passed me the vial of holy water.
Replace by: Mark climbed the stairs and passed me the vial of holy water.

And for the little strong head who wants to tell me that they didn't know the girl was in the second floor...
New version: Mark descended the stairs and passed me the vial of holy water.


Find us on Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment